Skip to main content

Web Content Display Web Content Display

Working at JU

Web Content Display Web Content Display

Working at JU

In 2017, the Jagiellonian University gained permission to use the Human Resources Excellence in Research logo, awarded by the European Commission, within the framework of the Human Resources Strategy for Researchers that aims at improving the quality of researchers’ work as well as increasing the number of staff in European research institutions. 


General rules related to employing academics at JU can be found in the HR Guide

A work permit is a document which entitles a non-European foreigner to work legally in the territory of Poland. It is required not only if you are employed on the basis of an employment contract but also civil law contracts.  

EU-citizens as well as citizens of Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein and Switzerland do not need a work permit to work in Poland in any sector. 

In case of third country nationals, scientific employment at public research institutions, such as universities, institutes of the Polish Academy of Sciences and research institutes, does not require work permit. 

In addition, the Polish law defines other cases, which can be related to foreign scientists, when the work permit is not required: 

  • foreigners who have a Polish national visa for the purpose of conducting scientific research and their family members
  • foreigners who have a temporary residence permit for the purpose of conducting scientific research or a temporary residence permit for the purpose of highly qualified employment (EU Blue Card) as well as their family members
  • foreigners who have a residence permit of another EU country with a note "researcher" who come to Poland to conduct a part of the scientific research based on the short-term mobility rule (for up to 6 months), 
  • foreigners who have a residence permit for the purpose of study, incl. PhD study, as well as their family members
  • full-time students and doctoral candidates in Poland or those who have graduated from a Polish secondary school, university or a doctoral school (only full-time courses),
  • foreigners who run a training course, participate in a professional training, fulfil an advisory or supervisory function or other function requiring special qualifications and skills within European Union programmes or other international aid programmes, also based on loans taken by the government of Poland, 
  • conduct occasional lectures or presentations of a particular scientific or artistic value (up to 30 days in a calendar year), 
  • have a temporary residence permit in order to join a family member in Poland
  • are citizens of Armenia, Belarus, Moldova, Russia, Ukraine and Georgia: citizens of these countries can work in Poland without the work permit up to 6 months within subsequent 12 months.  

When the work permit is required

Generally speaking, as far as scientific employment is concerned, the work permit is required in the private sector, e.g. in private companies, factories, in industry, etc.  

It is the employer who has to apply for the work permit for the employed foreigner. Work permits are issued by a relevant regional office called the Voivodeship Office (relevant for the region of the employer's location). The work permit authorizes the foreigner to work only for the particular employer specified in the work permit. In order to perform work for another employer, a new work permit is required.  

The document includes: the name of the employer, the position or type of work, minimum salary required by law, mode (full-time/part-time) and the validity date of the permit.  

The national welfare policy in Poland is the responsibility of the Ministry of Family and Social Policy, and the Social Insurance Institution (Zakład Ubezpieczeń Społecznych, ZUS). ZUS is responsible for collecting contributions and paying benefits to entitled individuals.

One of the elements of the Polish social security system is a scheme of  payment financed within the social insurance framework from the Social Insurance Fund (Fundusz Ubezpieczeń Społecznych). Their scope depends on the type of employment contract.

For more detailed information concerning the social security please visit the  Euraxess website.

The legislator imposes fines on tax evasion; thus, it is essential to remember about making payments and submitting tax declarations within due time. 


In general terms, everyone working in Poland (usually it means a stay of at least 183 days of the calendar year) is a taxpayer here and is liable on their globally-earned income regardless of the place from where remuneration is received. In case of temporary residence, only the income from Polish sources, irrespective of where it is received, is subject to taxation in Poland. The detailed regulation is included in international agreements for the avoidance of double taxation that Poland has signed with over 80 countries. 

  • Each year between February and 30 April, all those who worked in Poland in the previous year, have to submit their annual Personal Income Tax declarations (PIT) to the fiscal authorities.  
  • Before the end of February your employer has to provide you with the PIT-11 form which includes information on paid taxes.  

In Poland having health insurance is obligatory. When applying for a visa to Poland and legalising your stay in Poland, you always need to present an insurance coverage document.  

Foreign researchers and their families visiting and living in Poland can access the Polish state-funded healthcare services:  

  • as employees when healthcare contributions are paid by the employer, 
  • as doctoral students with the health insurance covered by the university/institute, 
  • having a voluntary insurance in the National Health Fund (NFZ) or from a private insurance provider,  during temporary stays/visits, on the basis of the European Health Insurance Card, 
  • registering the S1 document issued by another EU country (e.g. posted workers, family members), 
  • when insured as family members of employees in Poland.  


Individuals insured in the National Health Fund (NFZ) can use state-funded healthcare services which are mostly free-of-charge with rare exceptions, for example in case of some dentistry services. 


For further information please visit our website on health insurance.

Read More o